I heart the Hipster Grifter.
Let me just say that although I am not a hipster, I do adore them, mainly because I parasitize the byproducts of their lifestyle. I need ready access to indie music, cheap fashion, cheap new art experiences, and even their mostly-baseless disdain for the tragically unhip.
Also I love con artists, because I am nutty like that.
But you know? The curmudgeons are right when they complain that there is nothing really that noteworthy about Keri Farrell. She’s doing what has been done before. I have known half a dozen sketchy sociopaths like her– partied with them, lost money to them, and pointed them at people I wanted to watch them destroy, like you might a pit bull in a dog fighting ring.
So this is not real new. Why is Kerri Farrell an internet celebrity then, when most of the other scam artists languish in relative obscurity? No idea. I can only surmise that she is pushing enough buttons all at the same time, or perhaps the internet-savvy percentage in the victim demographic has reached a critical mass. Who knows!
I kind of wonder if it’s due to some hipster backlash, like the “Disco Sucks” movement (July 12, 1979, “Disco Demolition Night” at Comiskey Park in Chicago, IL). Maybe this will be the beginning of the end of the phrase “hipster.”
- A good place to start: the New York Observer article
- Here’s a blog, “Delicate Condition,” which is seemingly written by someone who met her in person
- Closer but less-consumable, here’s a forum on therocksalt lamenting Keri-induced damage
- The fishwrap-that-is-online Gawker:
- all the articles about Kerri Ferrell
- “Meet Keri Ferrell: criminally hipster.” What is our legislature doing?
- HGKF’s victims speak out!! It’s like Maury Povich over here.
- HG spotted: may still be in Brooklyn!! Get her!!
- HG’s charm in action
- Hipster Grifter Naked. Tell me you didn’t see this one coming. Maybe Vivid will offer her a million dollars. Although I have to say, I’d be more likely to pay to see Keri Farrell in a three-hole-bone-a-thon than to see Octomom… doing anything.
- her “Wanted” Poster on YouTube How hard core is that? She also made the SLC Most-Wanted
- VICE magazine: “we hired a grifter.”
- MetaFilter‘s summary. Kinda short for them; I guess it wasn’t shiny enough.
- Hipster Runoff: the saddest AZN alive. Sort of an annoying site.
- hipster runoff complete with bingo card
- Oh no, it’s the artsy academic analysis! Run!!
- NYU Local: “The Hipster Grifter: opposite of the Asian Submissive myth.”
- Jezebel: “Did Hipster Grifter play on loathsome hipster Asian fetish?” Ha ha, “LOATHSOME.” Somebody DO something! Hysterical! No no, don’t! Keep breeding! Without the Asian fetish, I might not exist! Go breed more slaves for my unstoppable mudperson doomsday army! We can end racism forever!
- “We Lived With The Hipster Grifter” from ANIMAL