I went to the Bawdy Caste‘s production of The Rocky Horror Picture Show screening at Lawlor Auditorium in Reno last weekend. That was insane.
There were over 7000 people there, 7500 tickets were issued. Diane was the star, playing Frank N Furter.
Being officially part of the Caste at this show was pretty wild. I sold “Tranny Packs,” little bags which hold all the props you need for the show. My pitch was increasingly aggressive:
- TRANNY PACKS!!! DAMMIT!
- EVERYTHING YOU NEED FOR THE FULL INTERACTIVE EXPERIENCE OF THE ROCKY HORROR PICTURE SHOW, WITH A LIST OF CUES FOR WHEN TO USE EACH THING!
- VIRGINS!! YOU NEED A TRANNY PACK! IF YOU HAVE A RED “V” ON YOUR HEAD, COME BUY A TRANNY PACK!
- YOU’LL BE GLAD LATER IF YOU BUY ONE NOW!
- WHEN THE GUY SAYS “A TOAST” WILL YOU HAVE A PIECE OF TOAST TO THROW? WELL YOU WILL IF YOU BUY ONE OF THESE TRANNY PACKS!
- EVERYTHING YOU DIDN’T KNOW TO BRING IS IN THIS LITTLE BAG! PRETEND YOU KNOW WHAT YOU’RE DOING!
We sold out at the front, so I went upstairs and sold the rest they had up there. When we were down to one, I grabbed Dan-O’s megaphone and shouted
“I HAVE HERE IN MY HAND THE VERY LAST TRANNY PACK IN THE ENTIRE BUILDING. I WILL START THE BIDDING AT ONE MILLION AMERICAN DOLLARS! I WILL ALSO ACCEPT THREE DOLLARS.”
That same weekend the heads of the cast, Jared and Shannon, renewed their vows in their hotel room. Diane and I were part of their wedding party. Shannon’s bouquet was made of inflated condoms.
Another thing: Reno Cal-Neva totally sucks. Everyone was walking around with these big cheesey plastic margarita tubes. I wanted to be cool too, so I ordered a virgin one. They refused to make one for me. Bear in mind I’m trying to pay full price for a virgin drink which is essentially strawberry syrup, ice, and sweet and sour mix. Nope!
The bartenders were pretty obnoxious about it too. So in retaliation I grabbed all the Rocky people I could find (over 20 of them) and led them away from gambling at Cal-Neva, to go lose money at Fitzgerald’s instead. Do the math on that one, morons!